Materials Conservation Co., LLC worked with John Milner Architects, Inc. and Cherokee Construction to perform testing and implement conservation treatments on the exterior terracotta of the Jane House. Named after its original owner and occupant, the house was designed by the architecture firm Furness, Evans, & Co. and completed in 1885.
The goals of the project were to address several conditions which were greatly impacting the building’s long-term preservation. Repairs performed during this exterior restoration included repointing open joints, composite repairs to sculptural elements and loss of slip glaze, light cleaning with architectural biocide, and laser cleaning of heavy atmospheric soiling using a portable laser. The controlled beam of light effectively vaporized the soiling while leaving the fire skin undamaged. The units were then treated with a reversible coating to restore the terracotta’s original color and create a protective barrier against further damage.